- In Shakespeare’s time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. That’s where the phrase, “goodnight, sleep tight” came from.
- The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.” Uses every letter in the alphabet.
(developed by Western Union to test telex/twx communications.)
- There are 240 white dots in a Pacman arcade game.
- The housefly hums in the middle octave, key of F.
- Dublin is home of the Fairy Investigation Society.
- A Giraffe can clean it’s ears with it’s tongue.
- The original name for butterfly was flutterby.
- A “jiffy” is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
- In Charlotte, North Carolina, women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times.
- In Asheville,North Carolina, it is illegal to sneeze on city streets.